I enjoy being a wife. I adore showing my husband love. There is something about sharing your love with someone who is just as eager to share their love with you too. However, in the mists of our lovefest, we have realized that we don’t show love to each other in the same manner. Over the years, I have learned to show him love in ways that he would receive it, and vise versa.
We all experience love differently. Author, Gary Chapman wrote that there are Five Love Languages: Physical Touch, Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Acts of Service, and Gifts. It is very important to know your own love language. That way you can relay that information to your spouse. In return, he will show you love in a way for you to receive it. It is equally important to know your husband’s love language as well, because it truly does make a difference in a relationship! We tend to want to express love in the same way that we experience it, but sometimes this can backfire on us.
I got together with a few friends recently, and asked them how they show their husband love. During our conversation, I came to the realization that while we all show how we feel differently to our spouses, the foundation of love was common in all of us. We all felt it was important to to express love in a way that it could be received. After talking with these ladies, I put some of their great ideas together with some of my own to give you this lovesome list of ways you can show your husband some love.
1. Give him a back rub. Hubby has to commute to work 5 days a week. Two hours each way. That’s 20 hours sitting in traffic per week. He never ask, but I always offer him a good back rub. It’s my way of showing him that I appreciate all that he does for us.
2. Ask for advice on something, and then follow through by listening to that advice without challenging him. Feeling respected is important to men. They want to feel like the woman they are with respects them, and their knowledge.
3. Brag about your husband to your family and friends when he is around. There is nothing like the feeling of your loved one expressing positive words about you to others. Make sure you are uplifting him in public, and not demeaning him in anyway.
4. Tell him why you respect him. Let your husband know what you respect about him.
5. Compliment him. Whether it’s for simply going to work, taking out the trash, or even changing the lightbulb. You have many opportunities throughout the day to give him compliments and words of encouragement.
6. Show interest in his hobbies and likes. I’m not a science geek, but I have watched enough Nasa Tv and Science Channel to last me a lifetime, lol. Even though sometimes I rather watch my guilty pleasure shows, I show him love by showing interest in his favorite things. I found that not only do I love spending time with him, but I also learned a thing or two while doing so. If he is into sports, figure out the plays in the game. If he’s into cars, go to car shows. Enjoy his hobbies with him without complaining.
7. Talk highly of him in front of your kids. Do not putting him down or complaining about him to or in front of your kids. You two set the example of what a marriage will look like. Make sure it’s not not one full of negativity and bad mouthing.
8. Encourage him when he is having a tough day. Let him know that you love him and appreciate him. When his boss gets on his nerves, be there to help relive some of his stress. When he is down, pick him up.
9. Trying not to nag him. Take a moment, collect your words, and communicate without having to get loud, negative, condescending, or mean. Communicating in a way that you can be heard, and in a way it can be received is important in any relationship.
10. Compliment his body in some way. His eyes, his arms, or even his butt. Let him know what you like about him. Maybe tell him what turns you on.
11. Encourage him to hang out with the guys. We all need time to unwind with our friends. Even though we have the same friends, I sometimes opt to stay home so that he can go hang with the boys. Besides, when he is gone, it’s just a another excuse for me to work on my crafts 🙂
12. Dress sexy for him. Even though hubby thinks I’m sexy in sweatpants, I still like to dress sexy for him sometimes. A nice tight pair of jeans, or a sexy dress will do. If you want to take it a step further, wear your birthday suit. I promise you, it’s the best outfit you can wear for him 😉
13. Serve him without expecting something in return. I don’t mean be his slave. What I mean by serving is offering to help him in some way. Hubby often has conference meetings at home. During that time, if it’s been awhile, I offer a drink or a snack. Just a little something to help him though his meetings. Before we moved, he would come home for lunch everyday, and I would make him something to eat. I loved doing it for him, and it made him happy. Bottom line, you don’t have to wash his feet to serve him. You can simply do little things here and there to show your big love.
14. Text him while he is away. Tell him what you love about him. Explain to him what you like doing with him, or even too him 😉 There is nothing like a few love texts to warm your heart, and give you a little spark throughout the day. Need some ideas? Check this list of 52 text bombs you could send to him over at Stay At Home Suzie.
15. Take care of him when he is sick. Make him soup. Give him medicine. Run him a bath. Do what you can to make him feel comfortable during an uncomfortable time.
16. Waking him up for morning sex. Enjoying each other at the beginning of your day is not only fun, but it’s also a great way to connect with your spouse. There are great benefits that come with having some good ole’ morning lovin’. Check out 13 of them over at Elite Daily.
17. Don’t dwell on the small stuff. When people ask me for marital advice, one of the first things I tell them is to pick and choose your battles. You don’t have to step to every battle you are invited to. Learn to let things go.
18. Tell him you why you love him. Anyone can say I love you. If you can tell him WHY you love him. It will make all the difference.
19. Sexy Coupons are always a fun was to show your love. I made some a few years ago, and hubby actually enjoyed cashing them in. I found a list of 50+ love coupons ideas for you to print out and make on your own.
20. Cook him his favorite foods. Nothing says I love you like a good plate food. The way to a man’s heart, is through his stomach, is what they say. I believe there is some truth to that.